Search this blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Common Understanding

What exactly am I supposed to take out of this book, I do not know. In fact, I did not know where the story was going as I read the book. It almost resembled a subtle tragedy taking place not only in 14th century Germany, but also between Tom and Sharon. I think at this point my focus is well beyond "monks and aliens," or  "theoretical physics of unexplainable" and more on Tom and Sharon. I think I am more interested in their relationship, for I think their marriage can explain the alien, human interaction that took place in Eifelheim as well as the 12th dimension.

I think Tom and Sharon's marriage is a modern day tragedy- or rather a modern day phenomenon of two different people living together under the same roof. Sharon understands only a little bit of Tom's historical research and Tom only perceives a little bit of Sharon's discovery. They are both after more proof, more evidence to support their ground-breaking discoveries but we never see what happens. Take Dietrich to be Sharon and consider Tom as a Krenk: Voila, the perfect depiction of paenes ( almost, in latin) understanding and yet being able to share the same roof and space. They almost speak different language to each other. Does it matter that we understand?

To understand, to internalize an input, analyze and put away or to do something about it. With this course I am now less sure about my understanding of anything. Maybe it so happens that we think differently, and we love differently and what holds us together in some cases is a bed, a house, a common area or simply put: a common understanding. I am not sure what that common understanding between Dietrich and the Krenken was.

2 comments:

  1. I too was intrigued by the dynamic between Tom and Sharon and its significance on the 14th century plot line. Perhaps on a simple level, Flynn is just saying that sometimes those closest to you, your wife or husband, may be so difficult for you to understand that it is comparable to dealing with an alien (the whole Men are from Mars, Women from Venus thing.)

    On a deeper level, yes I would agree, we all seem to think and love differently so existentially we may never truly know another individual (as Phil said in his post.)

    I think Dietrich and at least Hans shared a common appreciation for one another. I think, like Sharon and Tom, they both realized they excel intellectually in different areas and could enhance each others' understanding of life and the world. I would say the same for Tom and Sharon, though they frequently annoyed each other.

    I mean, what is it about our significant others or spouses that connects us with them? I would say it is the mutual understanding that in some way they both enhance the other's life, and that they are better off together than apart. Maybe that is why Hans decided to stay rather than leave with his ship. Maybe Dietrich and Hans were connected that strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commonality is what keeps individuals together. This is certainly true for couples. Even when one doesn't understand the other(which I reemphasize that I believe is always the case), there is still some level of understanding that creates a common interest between the two (or more; can't be exclusive to polygamists) individuals. Sometimes it's some interest like books, religion, or swimming. Sometime this commonality can be a feeling( To quote Queen, a crazy little thing called love). Sometimes it's unexplainable (Senator Kucinich and his wife...enough said http://roissy.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/preview.jpg)There has to be enough understanding for this common connection to exist(or I guess a successful misunderstanding on both parts).
    But I agree with mginsburg with there being some connection to his new life, earth, or Dietrich that led to Hans staying. I mean...would that really be crazier than the whatever connection brings the last couple mentioned together?

    ReplyDelete